Sunday, April 12, 2009

Environmental Karma

This was the year when I swore off Tim Horton's Roll Up the Rim to Win contest. I sacrificed my 1 in 9 chance of winning a prize to save a shwack of non-recyclable wax-coated paper cups from being buried in a landfill for eternity. The truth is, the only fun I get out of this contest is feigning a temper tantrum when I inevitably don't win.

On the two occasions when someone brought me a disposable cup (much to my chagrin) of Tim Horton's coffee, I won a free cup of coffee. Both times (much to my delight). Then, when I fell off the wagon and bought a cup for myself, I lost. But get this: In separating out the garbage in the paper recycling bin in the office lunch room, I pulled out a misplaced Tim Horton's cup that didn't have the rim rolled up. So I rolled it. And I won.



So, on a year when I committed to not playing a silly environmentally unfriendly contest, I essentially won three times in three tries.

I can't explain it. Must be some weird kind of environmental karma.

No comments: